Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Aug 21, 2014 - COUNTING MY BLESSINGS – THE SKUNK NOT BEING ONE OF THEM



You may remember from yesterday that I sent the first "here we go" email to TK's (trauma kid's) teachers. Their responses made me stop, count my blessings, and wipe a tear. One responded that they would make sure to give her some extra love, and not to worry, they had my back. The other worked out a way that TK could turn in homework and not have anyone see it was crumpled.  Made a mom's heart sing and sigh with relief. Just added those two amazing folks to my blessing list!

We have had mostly great teachers through the years, but there have been a few who continually challenged my "perception".  There was a lot of, "Well she's perfectly fine here. You're obviously making this sound much worse than it is."  There were times I wanted to video the meltdowns so they could see that I wasn't a psycho mom with a vivid imagination.  Some got it.....that when she had to struggle sooooo hard to stay regulated in school, there was nothing left for home, and that wasn't okay. It took over a year to get an IEP (which we actually got for her vision, which is not great even with glasses. We just tacked the emotional stuff in there.)  It was ridiculously hard to get what she needed in place at school.  Those hidden disabilities are tough, and our trauma kids are good at muscling into regulation when they need to, even though the fallout later is horrible.  Trying to convince people that my TK was NOT okay was exhausting. Every time a new person came into the mix, I had to start all over.  But I learned that her only advocate is me, so I made a point of being that annoying, relentless mom. Some hated me for it, but some gave me kudos.  It was painful and tiring and beyond frustrating, but when things happen like the response I got from this year's teachers, I remember again how worth it the battle is.

So I am counting my blessings. Blessed that this trauma kid is in my life to remind me of what is important. Blessed that we have amazing teachers that, to quote TK, are "chill" and so open to what I say and want so much to be my partners this year. Blessed that I have found the courage to share this journey and oh, so blessed, that I might give a struggling mom or dad's heart a little peace knowing they are not alone.  

Oh, and the skunk(s)?  That's a story for another day. I'm off to give myself a little grace and enjoy the quiet before the nearly inevitable pitter patter of 9 year old feet to my room and the "Mom, I had a bad dream."  She was twitching as she fell asleep.....a sure sign a nightmare is en route.  So....blessed that I can still sort of function on 2 hours of sleep without losing my cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment